Ludza Roman Virgin Mary’s Assumption Catholic Church
In order to strengthen Catholicism Polish built the first catholic church in the castle-front of the Livonian fortress in 1687. Later the church burnt down and in 1738 Canon Abrickis built the largest and the most beautiful church in Latvia in those times – with 2 towers, 5 altars and rich liturgical stock. On the 11th of June 1938 it burnt down in the town fire, and only in 1995 the renovated white church opened its doors. It is worth seeing J.Bārda’s paintings depicting Jesus’ Crossroad, valuable old wooden sculptures, the central altar painting and modern talented artists Andris Misāns’ paintings and Andris Prikulis’ altar.